Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics at Texas A&M (oSTEM TAMU) is a chapter of the national non-profit organization (oSTEM Incorporated) dedicated to LGBTQ student success in the professional domain. Our overarching mission is to empower queer folks at A&M to succeed personally, academically, and professionally. We aim to achieve that by (1) creating opportunities and providing connections to the large and growing number of LGBTQ-friendly workplaces for us LGBTQ students here at A&M, (2) putting together LGBTQ-targeted career workshops, professor panels, discussion nights, and a queer book club, and (3) creating community through fun social events! If you’re interested, hit the button below!
1. Fun and Valuable LGBTQ-focused Meetings & Socials
On Mondays at 7:00PM, expect the following:
- the first general meeting will be about how to make the most of your oSTEM membership
- five recruitment presentations from LGBTQ recruiters & employees in LGBTQ-affirming workplaces like the following:
- Texas Instruments
- Nokia Inc.
- Eastman Chemical Company
- four workshop events:
- seven social events:
- four small group queer book club meetings on Wednesdays at 7:00PM
- three monthly gay brunch socials, provided for free to 40 members on the first Sunday of the month at 11:30AM
Take a look at our meeting schedule. Meeting information is always distributed over email and Discord!
2. A Really Useful Discord
We’ve ditched GroupMe in favor of Discord, a free messaging platform geared towards community discussion and announcements. It’s the midpoint between formal emails (bleh!) and texting in one massive groupchat (BLEH!). We have separated our Discord into:
- Meeting Announcements
- Socializing (intros, chatting, and recommendations)
- Professional Affairs (Recruiter LinkedIn pages, company presentations, national conference news, tips and advice)
- Academic Affairs (details about the queer book club, research/school advice)
Members are asked to download Discord to benefit fully from their oSTEM membership.
3. All-Expenses-Paid-For National Conferences
Every year, we send as many of our members as we can to the National oSTEM Conference, the O4U Conferences in September, and the Lesbians Who Tech Conference in June. These conferences are massive opportunities to network and meet queer people like you with jobs! They want to hire you and all you have to do is show up with a resumé, professional attire, and your best attitude! Admittance, flights, accomodation, and all travel expenses are entirely funded and paid for by us, the oSTEM National Organization, and Texas A&M University!