1. Highly Valuable General Meetings
After our introductory meeting, we have six general meetings over the course of the semester every two weeks featuring:
- in the Fall and Spring, recruitment presentations from representatives of confirmed LGBTQ-affirming companies
- in the Fall, a workshop from the directors of the TAMU LGBTQ+ Pride Center
- in the Spring, a professor panel, made up of LGBTQ faculty at A&M, speaking and giving advice about being out in the workplace/academia.
We arrange these meetings with external sources to help you learn, network, and guide your next steps post-college. On the off-weeks between each company presentation, we host internal book clubs where the purpose is primarily for members to casually socialize and meet each other.
Due to COVID-19, all meetings are being hosted over Zoom, and Zoom links will be posted on the Slack.
2. A Slack to meet and socialize in
We’ve ditched GroupMe in favor of Slack, a free messaging platform that’s used by huge corporations, small startups, research labs, engineering firms and consulting organizations. It’s the 21st century’s midpoint between formal emails and casual group messaging. In it, you can have and join separate channels for separate topics. Our Slack channels are geared towards:
- Professional Promotions
- Resumé Drop Instructions
- General LGBTQ memes
- Forming subgroups for socializing
Because of COVID-19, Slack is our primary form of communicating and meeting this Fall 2020. We have engineered our Slack to be as welcoming and intuitive to use as possible for all newcomers!
3. Multiple Annual All-Expenses-Paid-For National Conferences
Every year, we send as many of our members as we can to the National oSTEM Conference in late November and the O4U Conference(s) in September & October. Admittance, flights, booking, and all travel expenses are entirely funded and paid for by the oSTEM National Organization and Texas A&M University.
Due of COVID-19, the 2020 O4U and oSTEM National Conferences will be going entirely virtual. More details are available in the Slack.